DAY ONE: MONDAY 2 MARCH 2020
- ARRIVAL, REGISTRATION AND WELCOME
DAY TWO: TUESDAY 3 MARCH 2020
- SETTING THE CONTEXT: THE RISE OF SOCIAL MEDIA AND ITS IMPACT ON DEMOCRACY
Over the past decade, social media has exploded around the world to become a leading source of information, news and dialogue for the public. This section provides the context for the conference through sessions that paint a picture of breath and depth of social media on the one hand and its impact on the other.
- SESSION 1: THE SOCIAL MEDIA LANDSCAPE
- SESSION 2: SOCIAL MEDIA USES AND ABUSES IN ELECTIONS
- SESSION 3: NORMATIVE AND LEGAL FRAMEWORKS GOVERNING SOCIAL MEDIA
DAY THREE: WEDNESDAY 4 MARCH 2020
- TAKING ACTION: HARNESSING AND MANAGING SOCIAL MEDIA IN ELECTIONS
This section zeroes in on the use of social media in elections. It offers EMBs from across the continent the opportunity to share experiences regarding the dividends of social media for their outreach programmes, challenges and measures taken in mitigation of social media risks.
- SESSION 4: SOCIAL MEDIA AND THE ELECTORAL CYCLE
- SESSION 5: MANAGING AND MITIGATING THE RISKS OF SOCIAL MEDIA IN ELECTIONS (BREAKAWAY SESSIONS)
DAY FOUR: THURSDAY 5 MARCH 2020
- MOVING FORWARD TOWARDS INTEGRATED SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGEMENT IN ELECTIONS
This section provides a consolidation of the issues raised in session 5 above. Participants shall present issues emerging from the breakaway groups programme. This will be followed by the conference summary on key issues with concrete policy propositions for consideration by individual delegates.
- SESSION 6: FEEDBACK FROM BREAKAWAY SESSIONS
- SESSION 7: SUMMATION AND WAY FORWARD