Results of the municipal by-elections held on 13 June 2012
The Electoral Commission (IEC) said the African National Congress won 3 of the 5 municipal ward by-elections which took place on Wednesday, 13 June 2012. The remaining two seats went to the Democratic Alliance and Inkatha Freedom Party.
Voter turnout varied between 60.29% and 33.26% with an average of 45.75%.
Two (2) by-elections took place in the Eastern Cape. The new councillors are both from the African National Congress. They are:
- Zephaniah Zamekile Papiso in Ward 17, Emalahleni [Lady Frere] Municipality – EC136. The ward was uncontested and retained by the party.
- Tsiliso Patrick Motjope in Ward 8, Matatiele [Matatiele] Municipality – EC 441. The ward was retained by the party.
One by-election each took place in Free State, KwaZulu-Natal and Limpopo. The new councillors are:
- Roquet Beneke of the Democratic Alliance in Ward 33, Matjhabeng [Welkom] Municipality – FS184, Free State. The ward was retained by the party.
- Zanele Sithole of the Inkatha Freedom Party in Ward 1, Nqutu [Nqutu] Municipality – KZN242, KwaZulu-Natal. The ward was retained by the party.
- Mashilo Moses Kgwatalala of the African National Congress in Ward 12, Blouberg [Bochum/My Darling] Municipality – LIM351, Limpopo. The ward was retained by the party.
The detailed results for each ward are available on the IEC website on www.elections.org.za.
ISSUED BY THE ELECTORAL COMMISSION
14 June 2012
For media queries: Please contact Kate Bapela on 082 600 6386.
For media interviews: Please email requests to email@example.com.