The African National Congress won eight wards, the Inkatha Freedom Party two wards and the Democratic Alliance one ward in the by-elections contested in four provinces yesterday.
The results saw the African National Congress retaining six wards and gaining one ward each from the Inkatha Freedom Party and the Democratic Alliance. The Inkatha Freedom Party retained one ward and gained one ward from the African National Congress while the Democratic Alliance retained one ward and lost one ward to the African National Congress.
Voter turnout varied in the by-elections between 29.55% and 58.56% with an average of 45.03%. Two wards were uncontested
The new councillors for the African National Congress are:
- Eastern Cape: Lebohang Christopher Booka in Ward 15 in the Elundini [Mount Fletcher] Municipality – EC141. The ward was uncontested so no voting took place. The seat was retained by the party.
- Eastern Cape: Jimmy Thabo Tshabalala in Ward 12 in the Matatiele [Matatiele] Municipality – EC441. The seat was retained by the party with 58.02.% of the 1 650 votes cast. Voter turnout was 43.17%
- Eastern Cape: Onesimo Nofemele in Ward 26 in the Mbizana [Bizana] Municipality – EC443. The seat was retained by the party with 85.01% of the 1 496 votes cast. Voter turnout was 40.35%
- KwaZulu-Natal: Ntsikelelo Ndlovu in Ward 2 in the eMadlangeni [Utrecht] Municipality – KZN253. The seat was retained by the party with 61.68% of the 1 473 votes cast. Voter turnout was 43.44%
- Kwazulu-Natal: Wiseman Phiwayinkosi Mzimela in Ward 8 in the uMlalazi [Eshowe] Municipality – KZN284. The party won the seat with 50.55% of the 2 526 votes cast. Voter turnout was 58.56%. The ward was previously represented by the Inkatha Freedom Party.
- Limpopo: Thomas Hlungwavukosi Mushwana in Ward 24 in the Greater Tzaneen [Tzaneen] Municipality – LIM333. The seat was retained by the party with 78.25% of the 2 288 votes cast. Voter turnout was 42.04%.
- Limpopo: Mkhulunyana Jonas Kekana in Ward 4 in the Ephraim Mogale [Marble Hall] Municipality – LIM471. The seat was retained by the party with 90.68% of the 911 votes cast. Voter turnout was 29.55%
- Western Cape: John Robert Michels in Ward 11 in the Theewaterskloof [Caledon] Municipality – WC031. The party won the seat with 50.51% of the 2 475 votes cast. Voter turnout was 49.58%. The ward was previously represented by the Democratic Alliance.
The new councillors for the Inkatha Freedom Party are:
- KwaZulu-Natal: Lindelani Yaka in Ward 13 in the Ulundi [Ulundi] Municipality – KZN266. The seat was retained by the party with 57.42% of the 2 341 votes cast. Voter turnout was 55.65%.
- KwaZulu-Natal: Fikezweni Zeblon Nkwanyana in Ward 3 in The Big 5 False Bay [Hluhluwe] Municipality – KZN273. The party won the seat with 55.71% of the 1 562 votes cast. Voter Turnout was 37.23%. The ward was previously represented by the African National Congress.
The new councillor for the Democratic Alliance is:
- Western Cape: Junita Carolina Kloppers-Lourens in Ward 13 in the Overstrand [Greater Hermanus] Municipality – WC032. The ward was uncontested so no voting took place. The seat was retained by the party.
The detailed results are available on the IEC website at www.elections.org.za.
ISSUED BY THE ELECTORAL COMMISSION
Ensuring free, fair and credible elections
1 October 2015
For media queries: Please contact Kate Bapela on 082 600 6386
For media interviews: Please email requests to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also find the IEC on -
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/IECSouthAfrica
• Twitter: @IECSouthAfrica
• You Tube: www.youtube.com/user/IECSouthAfrica